Adoption of energy saving technology in Khartoum state: the case of improved charcoal-cooking stove.
Keywords:Energy conservation, energy supply Remove, Energy conservation supply biomass, Remove biomas ssocial, Remove social
Environmental conservation is becoming an increasingly important issue, stressed allover the world. Factors that minimize
the eradication of the natural green cover are currently considered by· many countries world-wide. In the last decade, Sudan took practical steps for testing and disseminating energy saving technologies. Some Governmental° and non-governmental organizations exerted efforts to disseminate the improved charcoal-cooking stoves after they are proved to be effective and efficient in reducing the total amount of charcoal consumed by the household sector, which is considered as the main charcoal consuming sector in Sudan. This study is primarily accentuated to examine the adoption of improved stoves as energy saving technology in Khartoum State; factors affecting rate of adoption and respondent innovativeness. Primary data was collected through face-to-face interviews with stratified random sample of respondents in Khartoum State. Simple descriptive statistics and path analysis which use multiple regression method were used to analyze the data. The study revealed the limited knowledge of the population about the importance of conserving the· environment. The statistical result,s. showed that, the adoption rate of the improved stoves in Khartoum State is very low, and the possible factors beyond this low rate were examined in the course of this study. The regression results showed that, people accept new ideas when they feel their tangible relative advantages. Those who
Abdella E.H., 1985. Fuelwood Development tor Energy in Sudan.
Part I Charcoal and Fuelwood Production in Sudan, GCP / Sud
I 033 I NET
- Ahmed A. and Ahmed H., 1984. Assessment ot ERG Experience in
Briquetting Carbonized Agricultural Residues, Part
Technology Development, Khartoum, Sudan
- Ali G.E. and Huff C.H., 1984. Improved Charcoal Stove tor Sudan,
- Agresti et al, 1979. Statistical Mett1ods for the Socia
Sciences, San Francisco: Del Jen
- Ashley D. and Aihley M.O., 1985. Sociological Theory Classical
Statement, Allyn and Bacon, Inc. Massachusetts
- Baxter 1981, in (ed) Jong-Boon C.D., 1990. Environmental
Problems in Sudan Part 11, The Hague netherlands. DSRC,
- Beatrice P. et al, 1976. Family Decision Maling: An Ecosystem
Approach, East Lans1na, Los Angeles.
- Brown L.A., 1981. Innovation D1ttusion, Methuen and co., New
- Chambers R., 1986. fW1-al Development Putting n1e Last Fir·st,
- Dalton 1971, 10 Edwards A.O. and Jones D.G., 1976. Community and
Community Development, Krips-Reprto, Netherlands.
- DepEr'tment of Statistics, 1993. Population Census, Khartoum,
- Edwards A.O. and Jones D.G., 1976. Community and Community
Development, Krips-Reprto, Netherlands.
- Energy Research Counci 1, 1990. Sudan Re11ewable Energy ProjectPhase.
Fina I F!epo1-t, by associates 1 n ,-ura I development,
- Hamed et al, 1986. Marketing Study for Improved Charcoal Stoves,
- Hood A.H,.and Ahmed A., 1988. The Role of Research and
Development Institution in Improved Stoves Commercialization
and Disseminatio11. A paper in pro~eeding ot regional workshop
on commercialization ot improved cookstoves Jong-Boon G.D., 1990. (Ed.) Enviro11mental Problems In Sudan:
Part 11, the Hague, Netherlands. DSRC, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Long N., 1977. Introduction To The Sociology of Rural
Development, Tavistac, publication ltd.
- Maciver 1959, in Phi I lips B.S., 1969. Sociology: Social
Structure and Change, Boston University, The Macmi ' Jan company
co I Ii er.
- Mohamed, S.A., 1989. Improved Cook~CAn article in Ahfad
Journal Vol. 8, No. 1, June 19891.
- Majoup M., 1989. The Role of NGOs in Stove Commercialization,
CARE. International in Sudan.
- National E.nergy ilclministr·ation, 1990. Sudan E.ne1·gy Handbool,,
NEA, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Nati ona I Ener·gy Administration, 1 991 . Sudan Energy Ham1bool,,
NEA, Khartoum, Sudan.
- National Energy Plan Committee, 1985. n1e National Energy Plan
-2000, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Paddor1 A.R. and All s.o., 1992. Fuelwood Development For Energy
in Sudan: Cool,stoves in Sudan, Forest National Corporation.
- Padden A.R. and Sati K.M., 1986. Environmental Development for
Energy in Sudan: An Improved Charcoal Stove for Sudan, Forests
Administration. Khartoum, Sudan.
- Ro FLL., 1971. Society Today, Social Sciences California.
- Rogers E.M., 1983.
the free press.
Diffusion of Innovations, (third edition),
- Saeed A.M., 1989. Socio-eco11om1c Models
Agricultural Innovations in the Sudan
for Agricultural Development Programs.
University. Itl1aca, Ne11 Yo1·1c
of Adoption of
and Their Implications
Ph.D. thesis. Cornell
- Sa911ayr·oun A.A. et al, l~J8'/. Popu I at.ion and Development in
Sudan - The Quest for A national Policy, Proceedi11g of the
Third National Population conference, Khartoum.
- World Banl,, 1989. Sub - Saharan Africa From Crisis to
Sustainable Growth: Along term pe1·spective study, •/asl1111gton
D.C. · ·
- ~/hitney 1B81, cited by Jong·- 13oon C.D., 1990. (ed)
Environmental Problems in Sudan: Part 1 I, the Hague:
Netherlands. USRC, Khartou1n Sudan.